The National Times - Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling

Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling


Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling / Photo: © AFP

Premier League clubs have been warned to expect a tougher stance from officials on grappling and holding at set-pieces in the new season.

Change text size:

Howard Webb, English football's chief refereeing officer, believes there were too many instances last season of defenders dragging attackers to the ground that went unpunished during corners and free-kicks.

Arsenal won the Premier League title in part due to their expertise at set-pieces, with rival managers and fans complaining about the Gunners' habit of wrestling opponents prior to the ball being delivered.

Webb is keen for referees and VAR officials to be more vigilant over the issue, starting with Arsenal's clash against Coventry at the Emirates Stadium in the opening game of the season on Friday.

"I think fans can expect less warnings from referees (before fouls are given) than they might have seen previously, and I know (those warnings were) a source of frustration," he said on Wednesday.

"Fans can expect to see more situations being penalised, but not only in August or September, throughout the season."

A change for the coming season is the ability for VAR to check for attacking fouls at set-pieces and order them to be retaken, where a goal, penalty award or disciplinary sanction follows afterwards.

But Webb, a former Premier League and FIFA referee, doesn't want the flow of the game ruined by endless stoppages for fouls at set-pieces.

"I'm not going to commit to say we're going to go from here to penalising lots of contact. Contact's still part of the game," he said.

"We still maintain a high threshold, but I would imagine we'll be sat here this time next year and we'll be able to reflect on a season where more offences have been penalised."

Webb is also concerned by the aftermath of FIFA's decision to overturn United States forward Folarin Balogun's ban for a red card during the World Cup.

Webb fears there is growing belief in refereeing conspiracies among supporters following the Balogun controversy, which included US president Donald Trump admitting he told FIFA president Gianni Infantino to review the incident.

"I was really troubled by it," Webb said. "We know that there was pressure placed by a politician on to FIFA, because that was admitted.

"And we know that the suspension was taken away for that particular tournament and suspended through a process which seemingly didn't exist before the tournament started.

"Decisions were previously viewed as correct or incorrect, based on your judgement. Far too often now decisions are viewed as correct or corrupt by people who want to type all over social media."

S.Arnold--TNT